This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
4. - Records management videos: Read more in this section
- Information management poised at a critical turning point
- View records management as part of information governance
- Take a smarter approach to information management
- Can predictive coding help prevent information overload?
- Usability becomes a top priority for ECM vendors
- Why information capture is back on the radar
- Information management still hesitant about cloud
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - AIIM 2014 news and trends
- 2. - Modern records management strategy
- 3. - Records management tools
Information capture resurges as theme at AIIM 2014Date: Apr 08, 2014
Information capture may be resurging as a concern for companies, said information management expert and Holly Group principal Steve Weissman at the AIIM 2014 conference.
"There is much more to capture than just scanning -- though that is clearly an important part of it," he said. "Capture is bringing stuff inside the organization, wrangling it. It is an important part of every business process. People are talking about it more. Organizations that went into capture years ago are sniffing around it again to see what's changed and because they are ready for the next generation of tools."
Companies may be looking at capture more closely because it gives them an opportunity to evaluate their business processes to gain efficiencies and also to get a better handle on data as it enters the organization. By focusing on the capture phase, organizations can better categorize information upon entry, filtering data according to its centrality to business processes. Ultimately, prioritizing the capture phase may help companies to categorize, retain and destroy information appropriately.
"It's always been there," Weissman said. But "the simple fact that it has re-emerged as a hot-button issue … is interesting."
For more, check out this video. And check out our AIIM 2014 conference coverage guide.
For more on information capture
- Planning a document imaging system
- Capture is first step in good document management
- How mobility alters document scanning