This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
4. - Records management videos: Read more in this section
- Information management poised at a critical turning point
- View records management as part of information governance
- Take a smarter approach to information management
- Can predictive coding help prevent information overload?
- Usability becomes a top priority for ECM vendors
- Why information capture is back on the radar
- Information management still hesitant about cloud
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - AIIM 2014 news and trends
- 2. - Modern records management strategy
- 3. - Records management tools
Information management strategy still at the edge of the cloudDate: Apr 08, 2014
Information management is still too tentative about the cloud, says Ron Miller of the online site FierceContentManagement. "People are still far away from where I think they should be," he said at the AIIM 2014 conference.
Miller said that fears about losing control of data have kept information management strategy too far out on the perimeter of technologies like cloud computing. But the influx of mobile devices to the enterprise has made it impossible to keep content within the firewall. Information managers, he said, still falsely guard the four walls of the enterprise rather than finding ways to protect content as it seeps outside them.
"There was a period of time where ... you had a job, and your job was to protect the perimeter, and if you did that, everything was good. ... But there is no perimeter anymore. Instead of having that security ... of a firewall, you have people going out in the world with content. The cloud is a great way of dealing with that. You can get your content anywhere, anytime."
Miller said that it's important for companies to get on board and develop an information management strategy for the cloud. Those that don't start to incorporate the cloud are "going to get run over," Miller said.
For more, check out the video. And check out our AIIM 2014 conference coverage guide.
For more on information management strategy in the cloud
The pros and cons of ECM in the cloud
Weighing ECM systems in the cloud
Cloud-based ECM doesn't always cut it