Users attending Microsoft's SharePoint conference in Las Vegas earlier this month reacted with both optimism and caution when questioned about Microsoft's plans to integrate SharePoint 2013 with its Yammer social collaboration platform.
Some users thought the integration between the two products is a natural fit, while others expressed a desire to wait and see if Microsoft delivers on its plan to offer an easy-to-navigate interface.
After listening to Microsoft executives and partners talk about a host of SharePoint 2013 enhancements at its annual conference, and attending some sessions about the enterprise collaboration platform's enterprise social, mobile and cloud capabilities, some of the attendees talked to SearchContentMangement.com and offered their own takes on Yammer.
Several users said they are looking forward to the planned integration, which Microsoft Corporate Vice President Jeff Teper explained in detail during the opening keynote. But some reserved judgment until they could see whether Microsoft's goal of providing a user interface "just like a consumer experience in Kindle or Netflix" would come to pass.
More about SharePoint 2013 and enterprise collaboration efforts
Watch a video with SharePoint guru Susan Hanley on SharePoint 2013 adoption efforts
Find out how early planning can help manage SharePoint 2010 deployment growth
Read about some of the latest SharePoint trends
Yammer, Teper said, boasts the most users in the enterprise social networking space, and Microsoft wants to make sure the integration with SharePoint's enterprise collaboration capabilities help ensure that social "is woven into the apps you use every day."
We walked the SharePoint conference exhibit hall to find out whether SharePoint users were using enterprise social technology at their organizations and find out what they thought about the upcoming Yammer integration with SharePoint 2013.
Viewers of this 6-minute video will learn:
- How a New York medical college is approaching the social functions of SharePoint and whether an upgrade to SharePoint 2013 is forthcoming;
- What a Canadian international automotive systems supplier is currently doing about enterprise social at their company and what kinds of questions the firm's SharePoint administrator has about the Yammer integration;
- Whether a business systems architect at a provider of electronic commerce and payment solutions is getting his questions answered, and what he thinks about the upcoming Yammer integration;
- How an insurance company is approaching its SharePoint implementation and whether an upgrade is in its future; and
- What an engineering, consulting and construction company is doing about enterprise collaboration and how it is viewing the SharePoint 2013 developments.